Ann Widdecombe laid to rest as 100 mourners say last goodbye to ‘murdered’ ex-Tory minister

FAMILY, friends and politicians gathered for Ann Widdecombe’s funeral after the ex-MP was allegedly murdered in her home.
Shadow chancellor Mel Stride, former justice minister Crispin Blunt and broadcaster Iain Dale were among those at Buckfast Abbey in Devon.
Her nephew Rev Roger Widdecombe and Sir Christian Sweeting, a close friend, both spoke at the service which lasted about 90 minutes.
Cops had swarmed the grounds of the abbey to search drains and plant pots ahead of the funeral, which was attended by roughly 100 people.
Mourners wore black as they arrived at the requiem mass – a Catholic service where prayers are offered for the soul of the dead.
A statement from the abbey said Ann would be “missed and fondly remembered” and “many in our worshipping community knew her as a kind and warm character”.
It continued: “Ann was a woman of profound faith, a faith which found expression in the public forum of politics.
“Ann was unafraid to express her unwavering convictions, formed through her Roman Catholic faith.
“She had a sharp intellect and was a dedicated public servant.”
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage did not attend the service.
Mr Farage was campaigning in Clacton and did not want to draw attention at Miss Widdecombe’s funeral, which the family asked to be kept private.
However, he is expected to attend a public memorial for the late Reform spokeswoman, which will be held later this year.
In a post on X, Mr Farage described her as an “extraordinary woman who left a serious mark on British politics”.
“She will be sorely missed,” he added.
The ex-Tory minister, 78, was discovered with serious injuries at her bungalow in Dartmoor, Devon, on July 9.
It’s believed she was attacked the day before – after giving two media interviews that morning.
An inquest opening heard how “concerns were raised” on July 9 after Ann’s team failed to get hold of her.
She was due to appear in an online chat with C5’s Matt Allwright at 12.50pm.
Her employee then went to her bungalow where they found Ann “unresponsive and with visible injuries”.
A provisional cause of death was given as a “blunt force injury to the head”.
Joshua Kerry, 28, was arrested 300 miles away in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, two days later and has been charged with her murder.
Kerry later appeared at the Old Bailey which heard he allegedly hit Ann in a “planned and targeted” attack carried out with a “ferocity of violence”.
Devon and Cornwall Police were slammed for saying there was “nothing to suggest” Ann’s alleged murder was politically motivated at the time.
Counter-terrorism cops took over the probe just days later.
After she died, Ann’s colleagues gathered near her home for a vigil.
Nigel Farage, Richard Tice, Zia Yusuf, Lee Anderson and Danny Kruger all laid floral tributes.
Ann was a Tory MP between 1987 and 2010 for the Kent constituency of Maidstone, later Maidstone & The Weald.
She also held several ministerial positions in Sir John Major’s government.
Following her departure from the Commons, she appeared on Strictly Come Dancing in 2010 and was a runner-up on Celebrity Big Brother eight years later.
Ann later switched allegiance to the Brexit Party and then Reform UK where she became a party spokeswoman.
It comes as cops investigating her alleged murder have re-opened an investigation into an “attempted firebombing” at Farage’s home.
The Met Police received a report of a break-in bid at the property in south London in April 2025.
No arrests were made and the investigation closed.
But counter-terror cops said on Friday night they had identified a line of inquiry not pursued that “may have been relevant”.
The Sun understands the probe relates to a home linked to Nigel Farage, and that a lit incendiary device was pushed through the letterbox during the burglary bid.
The attack, which police believe was carried out between April 17 and 20 last year, was reported at the time, however the investigation was closed with no suspect identified.
Farage has long called for extra protection and previously revealed he gets almost 600 death threats a year.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is now investigating the “conduct” of a CTP London staff member.
It follows an allegation that the employee “failed to identify and pursue a line of inquiry” related to the attempted burglary.













